Supplying scarce skills and creating jobs

Online since 5.09.2017 • Filed under Advertorial • From Issue 6 - September 2017 - February 2018 page(s) 85
Supplying scarce skills and creating jobs

Tshwane South TVET College aims to contribute to South Africa’s economic growth initiatives by equipping the country’s youth with scarce skills and by creating job opportunities.

Tshwane South TVET College (TSC) is a public technical and vocational education and training (TVET) college that was formed when three former technical colleges merged. In 2006 TSC gained a fourth campus. The college’s current sites are its headquarters in Pretoria Central and its four affiliated campuses in Atteridgeville, Centurion, Odi and Pretoria West. The college operates under the auspices of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) in terms of the Continuing Education and Training Act (No.16 of 2006), as amended.

TSC’s mandate involves equipping South Africa’s young people with vocational and occupationally-directed skills at the intermediate level of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF). In executing this mandate, the college aims to contribute to the eradication of inequality, poverty and unemployment, as well as the economic growth initiatives of the country. TSC forms partnerships with stakeholders in both the private and public sector to supply the economy with skilled graduates. The college relies on these stakeholders for placement of TSC students with industries for purposes of experiential training. The courses offered at TVET colleges are externally and independently quality-assured.

Public TVET colleges offer a very wide range of courses and/or programmes that have been developed to respond to the scarce skills needed by employers. Like at other TVET colleges, courses at TSC vary in duration from a short course of a few hours to formal diploma courses of three years.

The costs of the courses also vary considerably but most important is the fact that DHET courses are subsidised by 80% of the delivery cost. The remaining 20% is paid by the student, and many full bursaries are available for those who meet the criteria. The colleges offer various types of courses across a number of industry fields, including engineering, business, commerce, services, information technology, and civil & building construction.

 

Tshwane South TVET College

T +27 012 401 5000 (Head Office)

T +27 012 373 1200 (Atteridgeville)

T +27 012 380 5000 (Pretoria West Campus)

T +27 012 725 1800 (Odi Campus)

T +27 012 660 8500/1 (Centurion Campus)

E marketingadmin@tsc.edu.za

W www.tsc.edu.za

Issue 6 - September 2017 - February 2018

Issue 6 - September 2017 - February 2018

This article was featured on page 85 of SABI Magazine Issue 6 - September 2017 - February 2018 .

Share this

Power Week Africa Conference 2018 take off 15 Sept 18
Footer ads

Subscribe to our Digital Magazine (free)